Advanced Tui Na
The Complete Online Programme for Acupuncturists
"Do you feel confident using Tui na effectively in your practice? Have you ever wondered if there was a gentler, yet incredibly powerful form of Tui na? Most colleges in Canada/North America offer a basic Tui na course that leaves students wanting for more, and unclear how to integrate Tui na into their acupuncture practice. With over 25+ years of clinical experience, 20+ years of teaching and 2 essential Tui na textbooks, I am thrilled to be able to offer you my Complete Advanced Tui na Online Program (with an optional live component!)
I would like to share my knowledge with you, to provide a thorough understanding of Tui na both practically and theoretically, to inspire you to return to the roots of Tui na, to integrate what has been forgotten, a softer more Yin-style of practise. This has powerful clinical effects, patients love it and it will sky-rocket your clinical confidence. I want you to be able to intuitively use your hands for dynamic and potent healing, and for this reason, I invite you to join me in this virtual space as I humbly pass my knowledge on to you.”
This course, for both the beginner and advanced Acupuncturist and Tui na practitioner, will take you on a journey back to the shamanic foundations of Chinese Medicine to the ancient massage manipulations of An Wu/An Mo that predate acupuncture. All needling techniques evolved from An Mo (press rub), known more commonly now and since the Ming dynasty as Tui na (Push grasp).
The therapeutic abilities of Tui na are broad and deep. It is both a physical bodywork (Yang and invigorating) and a subtle energy medicine (Yin and deeply nourishing). Some points and channels are better stimulated with hands and others with needles. This course will bring you the flexibility to use both in your practice, giving you the versatility and potential to flow creatively and intuitively with the changing dynamics of your patients’ Qi. And, your patients will love it!
For those new to Tui na, this course will provide a comprehensive foundation for how to apply all the fundamental techniques effectively and confidently with connection and presence. For those who already work with Tui na, the course aims to inspire you to deepen, refine and advance your skills.
The course will provide you with a clear understanding of the therapeutic qualities of the techniques and when you may choose them in practice. For example which technique would you choose to expel wind and where on the body would you apply it? How would you nourish Yin? How would you unwind what is bound and soothe and contain what is scattered?
The course aims to encourage what is innate and often under-valued – the intuition and realm of feeling. I want to enable the student and practitioner to step out of their own way, to become like water, to connect to the Dao and become the conduit that allows change to happen. The work is ever-evolving as we all evolve.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Return to the Daoist, shamanic roots of Tui na
- Deepen, advance and refine the Tui na and needling skills you already have
- Learn how to apply all the fundamental Tui na techniques effectively and confidently
- Understand the therapeutic qualities of these techniques and when to choose them in practice
- Learn effective foundation routines for all the main areas of the body, including areas little worked on such as the chest and abdomen
- Learn simple and powerful Yin style Tui na for deep nourishment and therefore for chronic diseases
- Learn how to release painful congested Ah Shi areas anywhere on the body and how this applies in the treatment of musculoskeletal conditions
- Learn how to direct the flow of Qi more efficiently, how to unwind what is bound, open what is closed, nourish what’s empty, disperse what’s congested
- Learn how to integrate Tui na into your current acupuncture practice, with a focus on preconception preparation, menstrual problems, digestive issues, MSK issues and hidden/chronic diseases (such as fibromyalgia, PD, ME, cancer care, depression/anxiety, end-of-life, and more)
- Discover the versatility and flexibility that comes from combining these skills
- Develop confidence in your hands and intuition, learn how to feel, find, and follow
- Learn the effectiveness of working with presence, relaxation and connection
Improve palpation skills, bodywork confidence and be reminded of the power of therapeutic touch
What do you get with this programme?
- High quality, step-by-step video tutorials (like being in the classroom with Sarah, only with unobstructed views!)
- Virtual clinic hours 3 times within 12 months with Sarah and Isabel where you can ask all of your burning questions
- 132-page guidebook to use when following along with your videos and to take into your clinic for fast reference
- 25% off discount on any of Sarah’s online courses for one full year!
What can you do after completing this programme?
- Increase your clinical confidence by integrating Tui na into more of your treatments for increased patient results
- Use your hands more instinctively in practice
- Add Yin-style Tui na to your clinical offerings for a gentler, yet powerful treatment method
- Utilize your Tui na, needling and palpation modalities at a deeper level immediately in your practice
- Creatively flow with more intuition in clinic
How long do I have access for?
Lifetime access to all video content.
Do I receive continuing education credits for these courses?
Yes! Depending on where you live, this program has been approved for 20 CEUs, or 18 PDAs (NCCAOM has 18 PDAs as their limit for one program). You may also use the live workshop credits if it is applicable with your regulatory body. Please note that the live workshop has not been approved with the NCCAOM for 2020.
Do I receive certification?
There are no regulatory bodies for Tui na, but you do receive an Advanced Tui na Certificate of Completion to display on your clinic wall.
Are all courses online?
Yes! There a live component if you are able to join, but it isn't necessary to complete the online program.
Do I have access to instructors?
Yes! Sarah and Isabel will be answering your questions during their virtual clinic hours three times/year. You will be able to upload your questions and have them answered through video!
What supplies are required?
None are required, but some would be beneficial. If you have a Tui na cloth/sheet (100% cotton sheet) a treatment couch/table and massage oil, you are good to go! Rice bag is optional for practicing some of your Tui na moves as are cups, gua sha and moxa.
What our students are saying…
- “I adore Sarah Pritchard and her style of teaching. More courses from her!”
- “Awesome!! Sarah is so inspirational. I am a massage therapist and acupuncturist and wanted to know more about Tui Na. We had very basic training while in school, and this course was very relevant to my career.”
- “I signed up for this program to develop and improve my Tui Na skills, and it was even better than I expected. Every part of the program was useful.”
- “I would recommend Sarah’s courses as they are clinically applicable straight after. The practical side of this work benefits the treatments you are already giving, and therefore the clients.”
- “Great program! Sarah is an amazing teacher; she is knowledgeable and delivers the content perfectly.”
- “I loved every bit of it. I finally feel that I can do something for patients who are anxious of needles (some of whom I had to refer to other therapists in the past).”
- “It brought to my attention small things that of course I know, but don’t really think about like the needle being an extension of the hand. Just small reminders like this made me so much more away of what my fingers or hands were trying to accomplish. Subtle reminders like that really changed the way I think.”
- “I feel humbled by the encounter that Tui na opens up between receiver and giver – connecting with the receiver’s Qi, his/her breathing, and so on on quite an intimate level. We are thought so little about these embodied aspects of practice in acupuncture colleges today, where some teachers even advocate needling the patient without touching the body.”
- “I thoroughly enjoyed it. It took me a long time to get through it, and I learned a lot—very practically useful. As a massage therapist and acupuncturist, I liked the in-depth technique demos and the techniques for specific conditions.”
- “I learnt innumerable concepts and techniques that I had never been introduced to before. Some of the simplest things completely changed the way I approached treatments. These are techniques that you can implement immediately after the course to start to see their clinical effects. My understanding of foundational concepts of Chinese medicine were broadened and deepened.”
- “As a student at the beginning of my journey it was so great to see Tui na from your perspective. When we learned it in college it was very intense and more about just putting a lot of pressure on points. I really loved the way you gave visuals to think about while doing the techniques. I was still able to give effective pressure but it didn’t feel so harsh.”